Friday, July 23, 2010

In no specific order...

M.I.A & Die Antwoord gig on Govenors Island



It's been too long since my last post which makes it very hard to fill in the gaps, but to update I've compiled a top 10 which can act as missing link:

1. M.I.A. & Die Antwoord on Governors Island
I haven't seen Die Antwoord live, probably because I wasn't interested in what they're all about. But when Helette sent me the link for this gig a few weeks ago, I decided to consider going because I've always been a big M.I.A. fan and they're kind off the soundtrack of my second year at University. So, that Monday I bought my ticket and off we went to the island. People from all over came and the festival attire included everything from young free spirits (which BTW is the term for hippy), Kate Moss- lookalikes in tiny denim shorts and bikinis, glitter girls aka Kimora Lee Simmons, copies from the pages of Vogue and me and my friends
. Everyone was out for fun, relaxed and happy. There were two stages separating the smaller bands from the big names. So yes, I mean the night had a great vibe like any other concert but I was pleasantly surprised with Die Antwoord who played second last before M.I.A. as final act, and they totally kicked ass, M.I.A. sounded like amateurs after Die Antwoord. Thanks Die Antwoord, I'm impressed, at last.
(Other acts I really liked was Rye Rye, Sleigh Bells and Ninjasonik
.) Afterward we took the ferry back and it started raining and everyone was soaked, which was such a great ending to a hot, fantastic festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment